The Declaration of MY Independence

My own accounts and adventures of trying to make it in the "real world" after college. "The single girl's guide to surviving on her own"....OK so it will probably turn out to be a "what not to do guide"......

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Tech

Screw what they say about high school, college was the best years of my life. I learned about true friendships, how to work hard and party harder, and most importantly - this is where I gained my independence. Not even for a moment did I fear for my or my fellow student's safety in the comfort of our Alma Mater's classrooms. This (among many other reasons) is why I am so deeply disturbed over what happened in Virginia this past Monday.

I keep putting myself in these students' positions. I can't even imagine just sitting in my class that I drug myself out of bed way early in the morning for, half asleep, only to be jolted to life by some insecure crazed maniac firing bullets into mine and others classrooms. Totally taken off guard, scared, not knowing whether to cry or scream.

What would I have done? Would I have stood there, paralyzed, unable to move, or would I have tried to fight for my life? Would I have ever gone back to school? What would I have done if one of my friends got shot? Questions that still remain unanswered to me, and hopefully I will never be put in a situation where they will need to be answered.

So many things deeply anger and sadden me about this situation.

Not to get up on my soap box (but it seems I am about to, so beware), but something needs to be done about gun control in this country.* Don't get me wrong, I believe in our right to bear arms, but I also believe that our country is doing a piss poor job regulating it. I cannot understand how a mentally disturbed man, on depression medication, can purchase a gun (granted he was the one who actually purchased it, if not, I stand corrected). Does this seem right to you? Roommate says that they cannot discriminate against people with mental illnesses, it is not something that is supposed to be disclosed. Ummm, what? So it would be OK to give Stevey Schizo a gun? Does this even make sense?! It seems that something has got to give here people.

However, the thing that angers me the most is the shooter, being the poor excuse for a human being that he was, shot himself after everything he had done. He was not even man enough to own up to the sorrow and heartache he caused friends, family, and a community altogether.

Fucking coward.

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to all who were involved in this great tragedy. If anyone would like to donate to the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund, you can do so by clicking here.

*I'm not saying only this caused the problem, obviously there were alot of other things, so please do not write me angry comments. K? Thnx.

2 Comments:

Blogger j.sterling said...

he was a liar, and that's how he got a gun. i think if anything comes from this- it should be that people who are on medication for depression, etc.. it should be able to be seen. i mean, the gun shops should be able to have access to that information. they do a background check in 2 seconds- there should be a way to do a different type of search in regards to mental health status and medication for people who are legally selling firearms. i think it would be a start, so it's not just a box you check and LIE on.. know what i mean?

2:01 PM  
Blogger Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

I'm so glad you agree with me! Former Roommate is a counselor at a school and said that mental illness is something that people CANNOT discriminate against, even when it comes to firearms....smells like bullshit to me.

So how about not even two days after the VT shootings, while I was walking to work one morning a guy got shot literally 2 blocks away from me. I heard the gun shots. I froze. Not a good experience.

I'm ALL ABOUT the gun control!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home