The Declaration of MY Independence

My own accounts and adventures of trying to make it in the "real world" after college. "The single girl's guide to surviving on her own"....OK so it will probably turn out to be a "what not to do guide"......

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Adventures With Mom

Even though I have moved out of my house almost 2 years ago, my bank statement still comes to my parent's address. Why you ask? Oh, thats because my lovely mother still hasn't taken her name off my account, which she was told, is something we both have to be present for at the bank. Now I have been trying to meet up with her to do this for almost as long as I have been out of there house, but for some reason this is a very difficult task.

It seems simple enough. Both of us work downtown, our bank is SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of both of our offices, but oh no, not when Mom is involved. Nothing is ever easy with her.

Here is the latest rendition of Sunday Dinner at my parent's:

Mom: Do you have a credit union at work?

Me: I don't even know what that is.

Mom: Its to help you save money. I've been looking at your savings account and.....

Me: MOM! Stop looking at my bank account!

Mom: Well, stop it from coming here!

Me: I've been trying to! You never want to meet me!

Mom: Well lets meet this week.

Me: OK, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday works best for me.

Mom: How about Thursday?

Me: *Sigh* Thats fine.

Mom: No, not Thursday. In fact, I don't even want to meet during the week, I like to go to the gym on my lunch break. Come over Friday, but you have to be here before 2, because I'm going to church.

*This is the point in the conversation where I totally loose it*

Me: WHY IS THIS SO FREAKING HARD!? WE WORK IN THE SAME AREA, AND LIVE 20 MINUTES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER! THIS WILL ONLY TAKE 10 MINUTES, CAN WE PLEASE JUST GET THIS OUT OF THE WAY ALREADY?!?!

Mom: Well Jesus Christ Meghan, just come over here Friday after 3. Stop making it such a big deal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Virginia Belle said...

this post cracks me up. thanks for the laugh. on a monday morning, it's just what i need.

this scene sounds like something from a comedy movie. i can totally picture it.

i am 100% financially independent of my mom, and i love it that way. taking $ from her leads to puppet strings on me. not that she would feel she could tell me how to live my life, but i would let her, because i would feel i owed it to her due to the financial support.

so if i control my $, i also control my life and my decisions. i much prefer it that way...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

I am totally with you on that. Back in January, I thought I owed the IRS about $1800. My dad said he would let me borrow it, but I refused. It was a very nice gesture of him, but I dont want to owe them anything. I was ready to take out a line of credit from my bank, but thankfully I didnt end up owing them anything.

Oh, you think THAT convo was funny...

What I just realized was that I forgot to put in the part where Mom asked me what time I got to lunch. I said 1, and then she said "OK, well lets go at 1:30."

Sometimes, you just can't win and you must admit defeat. Haha.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home