The Declaration of MY Independence

My own accounts and adventures of trying to make it in the "real world" after college. "The single girl's guide to surviving on her own"....OK so it will probably turn out to be a "what not to do guide"......

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bus Neanderthals v. T Snobs

This topic has become a running joke between Boyfriend and I for about a year now. I ride the bus that mostly runs through the inner cities of Pittsburgh, and is apparently at fault for my "neanderthal" ways. He on the other hand rides the pretentious T that runs through most of the outer suburbs of Pittsburgh, and is apparently at fault for his "snobby" ways.

If you knew us as a couple, you would know that these stereotypes don't fit us at all. In fact, its kind of the other way around, thus giving it more hilarity than intended.

The whole joke got started when my old sports fanatic boss gave me and the rest of my office permission to go and get hammered the day after the Steelers won the Superbowl at a nearby bar downtown. I was drinking from 10 am to about 4 pm with no lunch and very little breakfast. I'm sure we can all imagine the state I was in when Boyfriend came to take my sorry inebriated butt home after he got off work.

I was in no condition to drive, so he took me back to his place. In order for us to go back there, we had to take the Snotty T.

Apparently, this is where I embarrassed the crap out of him.

Aside from my loud and obnoxious behavior, I also became the potty mouthed personal space invader on our ride home. At this point Boyfriend had enough and looks over at me and says thorough his teeth, "You can't act this way on here." I, of course, counteract this statement in my I'm drunk so I actually think I'm speaking quietly voice "THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL T SNOBS!!!!!" This sent Boyfriend into hysterics and he responded through his stifled laughter, "Well here on the T, we don't act like you BUS people."

This is how the stereotype was created. Now, when I ride both forms of transportation I can really appreciate the difference. Most people on the T are very quiet, and the most you hear out of them are the rustlings of their newspapers that they are ALWAYS reading. They are polite and say excuse me when they need to walk past you. On the other hand, Bus People are so loud that you may as well just throw your newspaper away, or on the other hand, just throw it on the floor, because apparently that's the "Bus People" way. There's always a mom beating the crap out of her kids and always someone who is sharing their phone conversation with the whole bus. The words "excuse me" are not a part of Bus People's language, they just push past people so they can get off the bus as quickly as possible so that they don't miss happy hour.

Our stereotype was more then justified today when I saw the following headline:

"Man shoots himself [in thigh] on bus on South Side"

I'm definitely going to get teased about this tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well of course this is a classic entry!! I TOO am a T snob....and we are truely better than the bus "whatever you call them's"...if you can call them anything....if it wasn't for you riding the bus, there wouldn't be a bus....it would be a place to deal the drugs, let your children run free, wresteling match hell. However it's people like you that keep it a little calmer! Congratulations meghan....those people actually care what you think of them! COMING SOON: a T im your area!! ehh you can dream....

Love always,
another T Snob!

What's even more funny about this....my mom rode the T outside of her normal time she rides it....and she said that it's a whole other breed of people when it's not rush hour....

So I feel even worse b/c you have to ride with the Neanderthals that is a completely different breed ALL the time....and I guess you're just gonna have to move out to the south hills!!!!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home