The Declaration of MY Independence

My own accounts and adventures of trying to make it in the "real world" after college. "The single girl's guide to surviving on her own"....OK so it will probably turn out to be a "what not to do guide"......

Monday, December 04, 2006

Who Knew?

The boyfriend took me ice skating over the weekend and at first, I didn't want to go. Boyfriend did not understand this. Boyfriend told me that when he told the girls at work that he was taking me ice skating they all responded with "aww I wish MY boyfriend would take ME ice skating". I told him to take them instead of me, he declined.

I hate ice skating. Not only can I not skate for CRAP, I always have bad experiences when someone forces me to go with them.

When I first get on the ice I have to hold onto the railing before I find my bearings. This small moment of embarrassment is fine by me, but it seems whenever it is my turn to go, there is always a little fat kid dangling right on the part of the railing that I need to hang onto. Instead of going with my instincts and knocking the little fat kid over, I skate around them while my arms and legs flail about. This on the other hand, is too much embarrassment for me to handle.

Then there is the 7 year old hockey player that sees I can't skate for crap. He weaves in and out of my path and sometimes sprays me with ice. I try to trip him (ya I'm evil, you don't have to remind me), but I end up falling on the ice, embarrassing myself even more. What a little turd.

Finally, there are the teenagers. I hate teenagers more than I hate children simply because of the fact that they should know better. The teenagers see me flailing about because of the above mentioned things, and laugh loudly and point at me. I hate teenagers.

However, this weekend proved to be different. After boyfriend payed a RIDICULOUS price for us to skate on the world's smallest ice skating rink, and about 3 skate exchanges later we were on the ice and I was having the time of my life. Was it because boyfriend and I were skating hand-in-hand? No. Was it because of the Christmas ambiance that surrounded me? Definitely Not. It was the sheer fact that all around me people were hurting themselves. This was the best form of entertainment I had had in a long time.

If you know me, you know that this is one of the things I enjoy most in life. I am THE biggest fans of America's Funniest Home Videos simply because of this horrible obsession I have. I laugh myself to pieces when I see people swinging into trees or hitting themselves in the face with a hammer. The ice skating rink brought this to life for me. People were laying all over the ice and there were constant thuds from people wiping out when they ran into the walls. At this point, boyfriend looks over at me and sees a smile, rather than a scowl on my face.

Boyfriend: OK one more time around and then we can leave.

Me: Can we make it two times?

Boyfriend: Uh oh, it seems like someone is having fun!

(Me with disgusted look on my face)

Boyfriend: Don't worry I won't tell anyone.

Me: And I appreciate that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am, once again, sitting at my desk cracking up! My co-worker thinks I'm nuts for laughing at the computer. Thanks for the laughs :)

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!! I woudl die to experience this again with you!!! Want to go ice skating with me this weekend?!?!?!?!?! PLEASE!!!!! hahahaha!!!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as i read i could actually see and HEAR you!! hahaha.. i was reconnected to you meghan!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home